Chicken Soup

I love chicken soup! After going on a ski trip and coming home to LA and the rain with a cold, I was craving chicken soup. But, it takes all day…really two days to make kick ass chicken soup. So I made it anyway. I always use a huge roasting chicken to make my soup.

I then chopped onion, carrots, and celery, and garlic. Added 2 bay leaves, 1/4 cup of dry white wine and

Set it all to simmer for a couple of hours. But then I fell asleep because I started cooking at like midnight and woke up 4 hours later thinking I’d ruined the soup. But everything was fine. Took the chicken out of the broth. Cooled it in the fridge. and removed the skin and bones and had the most tender and delicious chicken meat! Way to much for the soup.

After I skimmed all of the fat off the broth, I reheated it and added my veggies. I wanted to do a winter soup so I used parsnips, carrots, potatoes, and fennel root. Finally I added the chicken meat and lightly salted…Delicious

Now that it some kick ass chicken soup!

Comments

1. This looks really good – I think I’m going to make a colombian version, but still as tasty. Thanks David!

2. Chicken soup is so good on a cold night! I use tasty Caribbean sweet potatoes (not yams!) to add creaminess and a beautiful colour. Glad you’re back 🙂

3. You’re finally back! I make a similar soup and add some
    cornstarch and cream at the end. I’ve also added 1/2 cup of
    macaroni.

4. I usually roast my chicken the night before I make the soup and eat some! But it sounds like you did a heck of a job.

I like the idea of parsnips and fennel root. I like some noodles in there as well (and so does my 6 year old son).

5. You can also use extra dry vermouth in place of the white wine for more depth.
    There’s an herbaceous quality that gives the soup a nice little “hmm, what is
    that exquisite flavor?” vibe.

Try replacing the wine next time with slightly less vermouth. I think
    you’ll enjoy the results.

6. I just made chili last night, so I printed and am going to make this after the chili’s gone. I’m even going to simmer the chicken (stock) for 4 hours, he he!